Sunday, September 14, 2008

Underneath it all, it's about time!

OH, FACEBOOK! How it does tell so much. And text messages too! I will admit that when initiating a relationship, I would rather send text messages or communicate via Facebook until I feel I am comfortable but now, I am beginning to realize that these two communication tools are almost a part of the determining factor. What I mean by this is, when I begin talking casually to someone (usually someone of the opposite sex who I may be interested in) and there Facebook profile is not as appealing as I would like it to be, already, their “points” are deducted! Same goes with text messages with only a slight difference, there may be way too many typos and the message is barely understandable because every single word, simple and all, is abbreviated; so right then and there, my red flag goes up! Sadly, before I have held a phone or face-to-face conversation with this person, I have already judged them.

Using these means of communication as a medium to learn of another’s intelligence and interests could be beneficial but in my case, I will admit it is unfair. For some reason when we use new technology for communication, all of our grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. goes out of the window and I know this! And as hypocritical as it may seem, I do judge based on what I see but hey; I just want to be sure that I am not investing time in a complete and total idiot! I feel that if finding out all that I can with social networking sites and text messages, if it saves a bit more time, I will use them.

I guess what I am trying to explain, indirectly, with this blog is how lazy we are becoming due to all of the technology we have on hand now. My first example was using Facebook and text messages to assume that these two accurately portray how people really are, intellectually. All we need to do is invest time in knowing a person, personally and all of those assumptions can be proven or disproven. The second example, abbreviations and text speak; it is all becoming a rush-job. Both of my examples lead back to time. We are beginning to worry too much about beating the clock and are becoming lazy and taking the short way out, even with relationships. So it just leaves me to wonder, what is happening with time?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Vange,
I completely agree with you. It is so frustrating talking to someone on aim, text, or facebook and you can't even understand what they are saying. I try to avoid the "abbreviation jargon"...I guess you could call it that...by texting with T9 and spelling out words in full on aim. People even abbreviate while they are talking now. I think that we need to take the time and have intellectual conversations and stop being so lazy.