Sunday, September 7, 2008

Reaction to Buffy the Vampire Slayer

In a time period where electronic communication was not as prevalent as it is now, an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer still painted a picture of what can possibly become of our obsession and dependency on computer mediated communication and technology. During the hour-long show, I saw intrusion, obsession, dependency, manipulation, and most disturbingly, the desire to want to belong.


I put the emphasis on the desire to belong because naturally, I’d like to say that no one would want to feel as if they were an outcast. To be an outcast in just an everyday sense can take a toll on its own, but now as communication and technology revolutionizes, we all want to be a part of, and also take part in. Being left behind as technology progresses is probably the scariest thought, thus, I feel that technology, in a subconscious way, is mandated in our lives. Just as stated in the show, “if not in… you’re not alive.”


As the show went on, I saw how one character (computer genius) was so sucked into the computer that he almost sounded robotic when he socialized. I noticed how often the computer was used as a medium to tap into another individual’s personal information. I also watched Willow become more and more reliant on who was behind the computer screen to make her feel a certain way, and once again, belong.


Towards the end of the show, the only thing I could imagine was how much more dangerous it is now as CMC has become more a part of our lifestyle. I do know the positives of technology but there are still way too many negatives to match. We as people are not as resourceful as we once were due to computers helping us with most of the basic things we should already know how to do. We are not as personal because we chose to interact hidden behind a screen (cell phone or computer). And lastly, we have become lazy and useless. It may seem harsh but for example, if I can find a summary online, why read a book? If I can text message a question to avoid a long and drawn out conversation, I’d rather not use my minutes. And even if I can dodge a library visit by just Google-ing something than I’d rather do that.


Our usage of CMC and technology is becoming a bit ridiculous but just as the producers of Buffy saw this coming ten years ago and it has become worse, what can we do now as it may be too late?

No comments: