Sunday, September 28, 2008

+/- Homeschooling and Online Courses +/-

This week’s class focused around distance learning and the advantages and disadvantages of. In taking the in-class survey, it was revealed to me that I probably would not be too successful in online learning or, if I wanted to be, I would have to work harder and focus more. Hearing about distance learning from Dr. Corso and other classmates from their experiences or inquiries made me think whether distance learning and homeschooling were similar in their effects. I then read a couple of articles; one on the Pros and Cons of Homeschooling and the other, on the Disadvantages and Advantages of Online College Courses in which both articles posed reasonable stances on why students should or should not consider homeschooled and distance learning courses.

There was an overlap in some cases for both types of courses. In both homeschooled and distance learning courses, the advantages state that the courses allow for a wider range of learning or expansion of course options and also, more time flexibility. The biggest disadvantage both course types have in common would be the lack of socialization and interaction among fellow students. Though both have different ways of providing interaction, face-to-face interaction and experiences are hard to pass up. Those are the “meat” of memories and things that cannot be taught by a teacher.

On the other hand, to stay as non-biased as possible, some advantages of homeschooling do make this way of learning more appealing than general schooling. Such a pro as being able to sleep in and work at my own pace, alone, would be better than being up for school by 6:30 a.m.! Another advantage is being able to create your own schedule that works around other priorities. With general schooling, there is a set time that you HAVE to work around and sometimes this is not convenient to everyone especially for those people who have a family and a career, which brings us to the advantages of Distance Learning.

Distance Learning has advantages ranging from time flexibility to dress code to comforting timid individuals. The courses work well for those students who are already established but would like to continue on a life-long learning path. They also appeal to those students who are shy, would rather stay at or close to home, and are technologically savvy. Distance learning courses do come across to be more advantageous than I would have thought before reading these articles.

I still stand by regular schooling, that within the classroom, teacher at the chalkboard, a syllabus in hand, and notes to be taken and for more reasons other than that but we are not going to get into another blog; though, I do understand why students would consider online courses and distance learning. I feel that being in school I have learned more than I ever would if my mother would have stayed home to teach me or if I was e-mailing this person I’ve never met before back and forth. This is all just me, what do you think?

2 comments:

Tiff said...

I agree with you. I too believe that traditional schooling is the best learning. When I learn, I like to feel connected to the people in my class, to hear and see the teacher, and to have a set schedule. I know for a fact that if I did homeschooling or online classes, I would lack off and would not be as motivated.
Overall, I agree with what you have stated. I would also find it difficult to be able to discuss what I have learned with others through a computer typing back and forth.

Mike said...

I believe that it really depends on the kid and whether or not he or she would be commited to learning on their own or not. But on a personal level, I knew a lot of homeschoolers including my two best friends and for the most part they were a lot smarter than the kids from regular schools. Actually whenever they would say some random fact that was really smart and the other kids would just stare at them in shock for knowing that, our reply would be "oh don't worry about that he's homeschooled."