Sunday, November 16, 2008

Where have I been?! :-/

It is official; I have been living under a rock! Over the weekend, myself and other members of the Black Student Union on campus traveled to Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio for a conference. The conference was entitled “Not another Statistic: Putting Stereotypes and Perceptions to Shame.” Some of the workshops offered dealt with, of course, stereotypes, relationships, financing, spirituality, leadership, and fashion sense.

In my last workshop of the day, which was at 3:15 p.m. when I had been up since 6:00 a.m., not trying to gain sympathy or anything, was the fashion sense workshop; “Pieces of my Reflection.” I was exhausted. I can honestly say, I truly think I was sleep walking on the way to the room it was held in. But then something woke me up! It was a little clicker, a remote, if you will. I was extremely interested; gadgets always do it for me! I sat in the room toying with it until the workshop began.

The facilitator explained that the gadget was used to vote on the various choices provided during the now interactive workshop. I had never seen anything like this before so I was pumped! The workshop began as simple questions were projected on the PowerPoint for us to answer. There would be a few different outfits to chose from, determining if it was business-professional or not, we’d vote, and immediately our results would show up on the screen.

Though I am almost positive I am the only person who this is new to, others who may not have seen this new technology would be very enthusiastic of the added element it adds to presentations. It’s one thing to talk at your audience but to discuss with them and have feedback is always the better way to go. Most of the workshops at the conference involved a speaker who would talk some, then ask questions towards the end but with this interactive tool, comments and questions were addressed during the entire presentation.

I believe this is one of the answers to some of the lack of communication errors some classes have. I’m sure the remote can advance and become much more than an “A, B, C, D” voting style and even become a device where short responses can be typed into. There are endless possibilities with all the technology that we have today.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

If you're living under a rock, I'm right there with you! I have never heard of such a workshop and I used to attend Christian workshops all the time throughout highschool. I think this is a great innovation because it allows the audience to get involved. While speakers are always asking for comments and questions throughout their talk, some people are very hesitant to add input. This little gadget sounds like it gives all members of the audience a chance to interact, and a chance to keep drifters like you awake! :)

Sarah said...

This little gadget sounds super interesting. But I agree with you in that that is a great way to get your audience to pay attention. I know that when I go to workshops I am sometimes bored out of my mind...especially when I am tired like you were. Who ever knew that CMC could be used during a presentation like that!